Register Items Before You Leave the United States

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about International Travel Tips and other Travel Insurance topics.

What are some other general international travel tips I should know?

Register Items Before You Leave the United States

If your laptop computer was made in Japan - for instance - you might have to pay duty on it each time you bring it back into the United States, unless you could prove that you owned it before you left on your trip. Documents that fully describe the item - for example, sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's appraisals - are acceptable forms of proof. To make things easier, you can register certain items with Customs before you depart - including watches, cameras, laptop computers, firearms, and tape recorders - as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent markings. Take the items to the nearest Customs Office and request a Certificate of Registration (Customs Form 4457). It shows Customs that you had the items with you before leaving the U.S. and all items listed on it will be allowed duty-free entry. Customs inspectors must see the item you are registering in order to certify the certificate of registration. You can register items with Customs at the international airport from which you're departing. Keep the certificate for future trips.



3/5/2015 12:03:55 PM
ClaudiaRorb said:

Really like!


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Travel Insurance Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Lynda Moultry